Over the last 21 years we have increased the number of almshouses by 40!
The Spalding Town Husbands have been in existence for over four centuries. They have been responsible for administering The Spalding Almshouse Charity and The Spalding Relief in Need Charity in their current formats since 1971.
Originally there were a total of thirty three separate charities in the Spalding area providing either almshouses or relief in need. These charities had been established by the Wills of various local benefactors, the earliest recorded Will being in 1591. In 1971 the Charity Commission passed a Scheme amalgamating all these charities into The Spalding Almshouse Charity and The Spalding Relief in Need Charity. Under the terms of the Scheme The Spalding Town Husbands were appointed as Trustees of both Charities.
The Town Husbands have over the last twenty one years increased the number of almshouses by forty from thirty one to seventy one and intend to continue expanding the almshouse stock as and when funds become available for the purpose. Of the increase over the last twenty one years, four were formerly the property of other local almshouse charities and the other thirty six, all of which are bungalows, have been newly built, the most recent being the John van Geest Homes at Larkspur Way/Rosemary Close completed in 2015.
The Almshouse Charity has thus grown considerably in size over the last twenty one years. The Relief in Need Charity has over recent years increasingly made many more grants to individuals.